Insurance for mechanics working privately and starting out on their own

Insurance for mechanics working privately and starting out on their own

20 February 2015, by Sarah Phillips

Advice for mechanics deciding to take the step to becoming self-employed


Self-employed mechanics come in many shapes and sizes. Some are garage employees who wish to undertake private work outside of their normal employment. Some work independently on a full time basis. However, if you are taking the leap to becoming self-employed, there will likely be aspects of running a business that you are unfamiliar with.  One of those may be choosing which insurance policy is right for you and negotiating adequate cover. Here we can advise what particular cover options entail and find a policy that suits your business and what activities you will be undertaking.

If you are still employed but choose to set up a new venture on the side, you can still have a policy separate to that of your employer to cover your business activities, and we will factor in that you are undertaking work outside of your regular employment which will lower the premium. If you require Social, Domestic and Pleasure use on your vehicles that can be also be arranged, as well as cover for vehicles you are buying, selling and working on. 

Mechanics Insurance: Importantly, you’ll need a motor trade policy. This will cover you while you’re working on a customer’s car and can also cover your business’s office contents and equipment, buildings and provide cover in the instance of theft. This policy would also include Road Risks, for if you need to recover a customer’s car or move it.

Public Liability:  This covers you for third party injury and damage. Although it is not a legal requirement to have a public liability policy in place, if you are starting a new venture claims made against you could prove expensive and have a significant effect on the success of your business, so it is advisable to have this cover in place.

Employers’ Liability: This is required by law if you employ anyone, even if it is on a part-time casual basis and certificates must be displayed in the workplace. This cover is available in a package along with public liability insurance. 

If you're interested in exploring this policy or just wish to get a quick quote to see if it is a viable proposal for you, please do contact me directly as I handle the part-time mechanics, at Or alternatively please speak to a member of our team including me who can be reached on 01733 569 555. We look forward to hearing from you.